Andy Cavatorta is a sculptor working with sound and robotics. His work integrates emerging technologies with traditional crafts to discover new ways to create meaning with sound.
As a culture, we are exploring questions about meaning and emotion mediated by technology. But many of the questions date back to the origins of the pipe organ and automaton. At what point does that numinous ghost of feeling, beneath the level of words, enter the machine?
Historically, we have often reacted to new technologies by inventing false oppositions between the old and new, imagining that one will win and one will lose. This can be seen clearly in music since 1900. Recording vs. performance. Electric instruments vs. acoustic. Digital recording vs. Analog. Virtual experience vs. physical. What we’ve seen is that, in art and music, we use all of our accumulated tools.
While Andy’s work is powered by software and robotic technologies, its focus is on experience and emotional narrative.
Genius Series for NatGeo's Picasso
I was honored to be featured in National Geographic's Genius Series that accompanied their Picasso series.
Commission for TED
The Dervishes were a commission for TED and Lincoln. This is their documentation. It's also available on the TED site.
When Bjork Met Attenborough
While I was on a break from the Björk's Biophilia Tour, folks from UK Channel Four visited Brooklyn to interview me about the Gravity Harps.
Interview for Great Big Story
Great Big Story asked me to talk about the Dervishes and the creative process behind them.
Motherboard (Vice + Intel)
I built this electromagnetic overtone harp for composer Molly Herron. Vice program Motherboard visited just as it was being finished.
Interview for Stella Artois
The Chalice Symphony was documented extensively in both a half-hour documentary and a bunch of promotional spots. Here's one of the many spots.
Interview for BBC
While I was working around the clock with Matthew Herbert at the Royal Opera House, the BBC visited to ask us what on Earth we were doing.
Honey I Shrunk Red Hook
An old project frmo 2009. But the documentation was so lovely I'm sharing it.
- Keynote: Acoustical Society of America 2019
- Panelist: Atlas Obscura @SXSW 2019
- Closing Speaker: MACAA Conference 2018
- Keynote: FAB14 2018
- Lecture: MoogFest 2017
- Workshop: MoogFest 2017
- Lecture: Boyer College of Music and Dance, Temple University 2017
- Lecture: Technical University, Graz, Austria 2016
- Lecture: School of Visual Arts, New York NY 2015
- Closing Speaker: Disruption Day, London 2015
- Closing Speaker: Design Leadership Conference 2014
- Lecture: MIT Center for Art, Science & Technology 2014
- Lecture: MIT Media Lab 2014
- Lecture: University of Pennsylvania Music Department 2014
- Lecture: St. Mary’s University, London UK 2014
- Lecture: Spotify USA 2014